arrowHome arrow Marv's Blog Friday, December 15, 2017  
Main Menu
About Us
USDA Organic
CSA - Own Your Share
What We're Growing
Marv's Blog
21st Century Farm
Did You Know
Farm Classroom
Photo Gallery

North Star Farms
P.O. Box 164
Carpio, N.D. 58725
(701) 720-2635

gardendwellers FARM

Marv's Blog
What a push
Written by Marv Baker   
Saturday, 05 June 2010

The long, Memorial Day weekend was supposed to be one in which I would get a lot of work done. In fact, I took a vacation day (Thursday) from my newspaper job just to get a better jump on the gardening.

It didn't happen. I know we are supposed to appreciate when we get rain, but my goodness, it rained all day Thursday, my vacation day, was nice but windy on Friday, rained again on Saturday, roughly 3 inches, then was too wet for part of Sunday. Finally, Monday was our day.

Knowing there was no tomorrow because a new employee was starting at the newspaper on Tuesday and I was leaving for National Guard camp on Friday, the planting all had to be completed despite all those delays.

It got done, but not without several issues that at one point made it miserable to be out. On Monday night as I was wrapping up, it started raining and the clouds just stalled right over the top of me. I kept working because it was 8 o'clock and I knew I had less than 2 hours of daylight.

The harder I worked, the harder it rained until finally I stopped. I ended up sitting in the vehicle for about a half hour before the rain passed. I would have kept going but the mud was balling up on my feet and the inside of the seeder was getting wet and the seeds were sticking to it. 

Those were zinnias, by the way, that were inside the seeder when the raindrops fell in there. But I did manage to get about 400 feet of zinnias planted before it got too wet.

I also had spinach and parsnips and squash to get in. But I got it all planted. The only problem was it was straight up to 10 o'clock when I finished and it was getting dark.

So, at 10 p.m., I started the tractor and tilled the 2.5 acre perimeter before driving it home about 5 blocks, without lights, since it doesn't have any. 

That's what I like about living in northwestern North Dakota. The daylight in summer is remarkable. Even last Monday, nearly a month away from the solstice and we still had daylight until 10 p.m.

When I got back to the house and got everything unloaded and placed back in the garage, I headed for the house, but I had to take all my clothes off in the garage because I was covered in mud and would have made quite a mess otherwise.

To me, that's a part of farming. It has to be done within a time window regardless of weather conditions. That's the way it is. At least those seeds got plenty of moisture as I did.

<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>

Results 41 - 45 of 92
©2014 North Star Farms